Sunday, August 29, 2010

Work in Progress: Obsolete Technology

Things have been busy here in Seattle. With a full-time job and a big freelance gig, its amazing I still think I need more to do! Like anyone who loves all things letterpress, I have been itching to start a new print project in my spare time. Though I don't have any way to print it (yet!), I thought it would be fun to start sketching out what I might want to print.


I was really inspired by all of the printers I met at the SVC Wayzgoose yesterday, and I thought it would be fun to do some sort of print series. I seem to be stuck in the 18th century, so I wanted to pay tribute to all the amazing mechanical machinery that has become pasè in this new era. It seemed fitting to start with letterpress, which isn't completely gone but definitely isn't depended on in the printing industry anymore.

I'm not sure what this project might evolve into, but I like the idea that it would be educational as well as artistic (perhaps by having a short paragraph about the technology on each card). Some of the things I might want to showcase: the Rotary Telephone, the Wax Cylinder Player, the Typewriter, the Velocipede, the Zoetrope, etc. etc...

Things may change as soon as I get this book in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment