Saturday, June 12, 2010

Process: Santana!

I never thought that interning at Hatch I would be able to do posters for famous musicians, but here we are! Brad let me work on a poster for a Santana concert, which I was really excited about! After researching some of the imagery associated with Santana, I realized that the majority of it is a hybrid of Mexican Mural Art and 1960's Psychedelic posters. Not wanting to go either of those routes, I wanted to make something more contemporary (and more simple), but keep with the same 'Santana' feeling.

To keep it feeling truly Santana, I knew color would be a big factor. Though a lot of his imagery is very 'rainbow' centric, I thought keeping the colors warm and sunny would bring about a similar feeling.

The poster's first layer is a reference to the structure of an acoustic guitar, since he's one of the most famous guitar players around. I built the strings and frets out of rules, and I carved the half-circle at the bottom (since there wasn't already one in the shop that fit the right size).

The first layer printed.

Here's the second layer (all the information) on the press. The other awesome thing about this job is that the show is on my birthday! Coincidence?

And here are all my posters printed, ready to trim.

Detail of the type

And the final poster! TA DAA! I'm pretty stoked about this one.

1 comment: