Saturday, February 12, 2011

& Coaster: For the Love of Letterpress

Today I finished printing coasters for a 'Love & Letterpress' coaster exchange, headed by Catherine from Visual Chemist. I'm super excited to be a part of this exchange, and can't wait to see the coasters everyone else printed! It's an alphabet letterpress theme, so everyone was assigned one letter from the alphabet. Since 'S' was already taken, I chose to do the ampersand.

I printed the ampersands first, in a dark black. It was hard to get them as dark and crisp as I wanted, those coasters eat up a lot of ink!

Then I printed the letter block overlay. I wanted it to be blind, but that did not work on the coasters (they kept cracking with too much impression!). So the fabulous Kristine helped me figure out a light color tint to print them, so they still had the 'blind' feel.

Kristine is new to printing, so I let her run some of my coasters to get the feeling for printing. She did a pretty great job!

And here is the finished coaster! I pulled out 15 ampersands to leave plain, and printed 15 of just the type blocks. But the one with the two passes is the one I'm sending in for the exchange.

I was SO TIRED after printing all the coasters (and finishing Becki's). My leg is going to be sore tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Love the faux impression printing. It totally fooled me. Ampersands and impression printing = Nini.

    ReplyDelete